Cashiers is a mountain village in Jackson County, located about 11 miles northeast of Highlands. Like its neighbor, the community sits on a plateau in the Appalachian Mountains (in the Blue Ridge range), with a lofty elevation of approximately 3,500 feet. Due to its location, Cashiers is often dubbed “the Heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains.”
Brief History of Cashiers, NC
The origins of Cashiers dates back to the mid-18th century, when Colonel John A. Zachary and his son came to the area to explore the surroundings, traveling from Surry County. In 1833, one year after their visit, the father-and-son duo came back and became Cashiers’ first residents.
More families followed suit, such as James McKinney’s family. The McKinneys owned 600 acres of land, a part of which is currently High Hampton Inn, a historic site listed on the National Register of Historic.
Many stories surround the origins of Cashiers’ name. One popular story is that the name was derived from a bull owned by Wade Hampton, a Civil War general. Some say Cashiers came from James McKinney, who owned a white stallion he named ‘Cash.’
Cashiers NC Real Estate and Property Types
Home to incredibly valuable land, second and vacation homes in Cashiers are considered some of the most sought-after real estate properties in western North Carolina. These real estate offerings include luxury homes, cabins, single-family homes, condos, and golf properties, located in a pristine setting of emerald forests that give way to sparkling lakes or picturesque mountain vistas.
Cashiers also have the distinction of being home to some of North Carolina’s finest neighborhoods and communities, such as exclusive Arrowhead, secluded Big Sheepcliff, luxurious High Hampton, and High Meadows, a haven for outdoor recreation.
Other notable communities in Cashiers include:
• The Chattooga Club
• Cedar Hill
• Mountaintop Golf and Lake Club
• Chattooga Ridge
• Found Forest
• Laurel Falls
• Lonesome Valley
Living in Cashiers, NC
• Local culture: Cashiers is quite a cosmopolitan mountain village, with its community center a hub for commerce. There is a bevy of apparel and specialty boutiques, galleries, and other retail establishments located in the area. Additionally, five of Cashiers’ oldest structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
• Golf: Golf is a favorite pastime among Cashiers locals and seasonal visitors, with several esteemed public and private golf courses located in and around the village, such as High Hampton Inn and Country Club, Lake Toxaway Country Club, Old Edwards Club, Cullasaja Country Club, and The Chattooga Club.
• Outdoor recreation: Located in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, there are endless outdoor activities in Cashiers. These include hiking up the Whiteside Mountain or deep within the Nantahala National Forest. Waterfalls are abundant in the area, making trips and dips to High Falls, Silver Run Falls, and Rainbow Falls a must. For anglers, fishing in the Horsepasture and Chattooga Rivers, and in Lake Glenville, are highly recommended.
• Dining: Cashiers is also home to outstanding restaurants. On top of the list are Cornucopia, Randevu, The Orchard Restaurant, Events Barn, and Guest Cottage, Chile Loco, and Slab Town Pizza.
Explore second and vacation homes in Cashiers, NC
We can show you the best offerings in Cashiers’ second homes market. For more information, browse our website or call us today at 828.526.8784.